Monday, October 13, 2008

My practical joke finally worked!!!

(This photo is of Natalie checking out a gator behind glass.)

So a few days ago I made a post about our new family pet. I had said that we got an alligator to replace our pet goldfish. Ok, it was all a big joke and let me tell you why!


My wonderful mother and father have an intense fear that since we live in the swamps of Louisiana we can be eaten by an alligator at any given second. Ok, so I'm exaggerating a little bit but they do fear one of their grandchildren becoming a tasty mid-day snack for some hungry gator. To be fair, we do live in gator country, but they stay in their homes and we stay away from those homes!


A while back our family was visiting the New Orleans zoo and at the cajun country exhibit they keep a huge 11 foot gator. While there I took a picture with my cell phone of this gator, making sure to keep the walls of the structure out of the picture. I then sent this picture to my mom's email address with the caption "look what my neighbors found in their backyard this morning!" While I thought this to be hilarious, my parents did not.


So, when my neighbor and her son (the one who a few weeks earlier had a gator take a bit of his hand) showed up with a baby gator I couldn't resist playing a prank on my parents once again. It was just coincidence that the kids were in the bath at the time, and no, I didn't put the gator in the bath with William. They really don't have any teeth yet, but I'm still not a huge fan of putting potentially dangerous animals in a bath with my children. Anyway, Shane took the baby gator back to his home in the swamp and we are still without a pet. (Tom and I also think that having a gator as a pet might be illegal, though I'm not sure.)


Anyway, I don't know how often my parents check this blog so we've been patiently waiting to hear from them, leaving that post up as if it were real. And finally, the email came today. To quote, "Please tell me why an alligator?" and when I responded that my prank finally worked the response was "Dad and I both say 'not funny' to the alligator trick."


Ahh.......all in a days work!

5 comments:

Jenny P. said...

oh you really are just mean. I remember seeing the alligator post and thinking, really?! An alligator? I mean, even without teeth, serious damage could be done to little boy parts.. one misplaced chomp and bye bye grandchildren...

glad to know it was a joke :)

Kristin said...

Ha! Awesome. When I saw the post about the alligator, I just thought it was something people living in Houma, LA do... ;)

Melanie Hoopes said...

That's awesome!! I must give this prank a pretty good rating, mostly just because it brings joy to my heart to see people play jokes on others, especially thier parents:)

Jackie S. said...

I must be really smart...because I figured it had to be a joke. That little baby wasn't going to stay small forever. Plus...the cajuns in Texas don't have pet alligators...they just stuff 'em and mount them on their wall.

Christa O'Brien said...

Oh, Jackie...you're too smart!