Wednesday, November 28, 2007

It's the most wonderful time of the year!

There are several reasons why I love the Christmas Holiday season. I love the fact that it starts to get cold, and for some there's snow. I love decorating the Christmas Tree and putting up lights on the house. I love shopping for presents, and then I love to wrap them. Oh, and the number one reason why I love this time of year? I can use the phrase, "Remember: Santa is watching!"

Just yesterday I was being hasseled by William because he didn't want to put his dirty clothes in the dirty clothes bin. Instead of making him do it, I simply said, "That's fine if you don't want to, but remember: Santa is watching," and then went back to what I was doing. It's glorious how well this works! With a second to contemplate what that meant, William rushed to put his dirty clothes where they belonged. He just wasn't willing to risk Santa seeing him be disobedient.

If only this worked year-round...but it doesn't. You just can't pull this in May! "Do your chores or in seven months you might not get all the presents you want!" Nope-it's really only good for that time between Thanksgiving all the way up to Christmas Eve. The rest of the year, I actually have to use real parenting skills. So, for that month, it's the greatest "threat" there is!

So remember: Do your chores, clean your room, eat your vegetables...cause Santa's watching!

8 comments:

Brooke said...

Hey! I just read the comment that you left on our blog. I think we are in the same ward. I don't think we've ever officially met, but I recognize you and your family. That's pretty cool that you know Matt's sister and Lacy. Lacy is actually my cousin. Are you from Ohio then? My husband has been working here in Louisiana for over a year now. He is a helicopter pilot so he transports the workers to and from the oil rigs. We moved to Thibodaux a couple of months ago. What brought you to Louisiana? Sorry this message is so long!

Melanie Hoopes said...

I was laughing all the way through this one! Probably because I can picture you saying it very intensly to William and then turning around with a big sly smile on your face!! I also had to laugh because I've started this tacktic already and Whitney is only 2!

Glitter said...

Dearest Christa.. I bought a ticket to ohio for christmas week, but I might come out for spring break at Columbia.. in march. would that be alright to spend easter time with you guys???

simplysarah said...

Christa, you're hilarious!

Glitter said...

would you kill me if I got william a nerf gun for christmas.. I was reminiscing the other day about how cool they were.. or do you htink he is too young?

Glitter said...

a) I love love love mika.....
b) did you ever listen to that cd I gave you imogen heap?
c)you should isten to fountains of wayne.. I will burn cds and stick them in your holiday box.....maybe that kids cd I made forever ago will find it's way in there

Glitter said...

It's on my computer no biggie..... you can keep it... it's a great cd lollipop is one of my favorites...

Glitter said...

So I have William and Natalie's pictures on my desk and my boss thought they were the stock photos that come in a frame...

"They look like model children. You can't get real kids to take pictures like that"

there you go your children should be models