Tuesday, April 14, 2009

An All Nighter in New Orleans!

(So, my last post I mentioned that I was going to see Regis and Kelly film live in New Orleans. Here's the story!)

We decided to go really early to get in line so that we could get really good seats. So, we left Houma at about midnight on Tuesday and got there about 1am. We (Alonna and I) were the third goup of people in line, so that put us about 10 and 11 in line! We were so excited to be doing something crazy like that! We both brought sleeping bags because it actually did get really cold. It got down to about 42 degrees and that is way too cold for Southern Louisiana! But there was no sleeping! We made friends with the girls in line behind us and we looked at magazines and listened to music on ipods. It was so much fun!

At about 6am we took the sleeping bags back to the car and got ready to go into the area for the filming. We saw Kelly Ripa leave the hotel to be driven literally 20 feet to the stage!


This is the entrance to Fulton Street which is the road between Harrah's Casino and Harrah's Hotel which is where they were filming the show, and also where we waited in line.




This is a shot of the giant screen which was right by our row. Our seats were awesome. There were about 4 rows of special seating and then they started seating those of us who waited in line with tickets (first come first serve!) We were aboutthe 6th row to the left of the stage, they were amazing seats. We were right next to the sound stage where the musical guest (Jesse McCartney) performed and we could just about see up Regis and Kelly's nose!


This is a picture of our sweet homemade t-shirts we made for the show. We thought it would be warm enough to just wear them, but that didn't happen! I actually ended up putting my sweatshirt on under the t-shirt! Oh, and I have to bend down to take a picture with Alonna because she is literally 5 feet tall...I am half a foot taller than her! Don't we look wonderful? We have been up for about 28 hours by this point!


Gellman!! I love this picture because it looks like he's wearing a jester's hat! He was telling us how to be a good audience before the taping began.



And here is Regis and Kelly! When the audience died down after they came out, we stood up and "woo hoo'd" and Kelly pointed at our awesome t-shirts.

The first guest was Reggie Bush, local footbal hero for the New Orleans Saints. This is him and Regis discussing some photos that recently appeared in a magazine with Kim Kardashian. Reggie was alot smaller than I thought he would be!

The second guest was Faith Ford. She and Kelly used to have a sitcom called "Hope and Faith." Faith is also a native of Louisiana so she and Kelly went around to a bunch of local favorites and did fun things like making pralines and exploring the house from "The curious case of Benjamin Button."

The musical guest was Jesse McCarthey, which I wasn't really familiar with. But the young girls all knew him, and I finally remembered that I had seen him on an episode of Law and Order once. He was also really short!

When the show was over security did a fantastic job of hearding everyone out because they had to tape a second show at 10:30. (Ours was live, theirs...not so live!) I had a goal to get our awesome t-shirt signed, so I got Regis's attention and asked if he would sign our shirts, he was torn because he was being rushed off stage, so he said he would see what he could do. Then I saw the lady who does Kelly's make-up and recognized her as the lady who did my make-up for "Who wants to be a Millionaire?" I'm sure she remembered me. But then I saw Lori Schulweiss, affectionately nicknamed "Schully" on the show. So I yelled, "hey Schully, can you get Regis and Kelly to sign our t-shirts?" I think I took her by surprise cause I knew her nickname! She thought for a second then said, yeah hand em over! So we did. While waiting, Art Moore walked by (he's an executive producer) so we got him to take a picture with us! Our new friends from line even got in the picture with us!
But we did it! We got our shirts back and Regis and Kelly and signed them for us! Security was about to pick us up and haul us out, but we did get our shirts back! And after being awake for longer than 30 hours straight, we headed home and crashed. But it was so much fun!!

4 comments:

Kristin said...

Oh Christa, that looks like so much fun! Leave it to my awesome friend to get her shirt signed by Regis and Kelly!

Melanie Hoopes said...

I actually saw you on TV!! It's a preciously rare occasion that I get to watch the show - since little einsteins and mickey fill that morning time slot on Tivo - but I read your blog a couple minutes before the show came on - I watched the first 3 minutes and saw when Kelly pointed you out in the crowd. Looks like you had fun woman - shesh all night - sounds fun, yet tiring.

Connie said...

Seriously - I had way more fun when you lived around here.

superjuker said...

Freakin Awesome!!!!!!!!! I couldn't watch the show and when I went to the R&K website they showed only clips from the show and I couldn't find you. I told all the "stay-in-bed" moms from church to watch for you, but didn't hear anything. Did you get to see Miley Sirus sing her new song "The Climb"? Love that song... Oh! can I have your autograph too?! now get some sleep!