Hello all! Well, if you haven't been hiding under a rock for the past few days, you probably know that there is a hurricane threatening to slam into the gulf coast. Especially interesting is that tomorrow is the 3rd anniversary of Hurricane Katrina, so that just adds more emotion to it. Here is the current picture of the projected path of Hurricane Gustav and where it is expected to make landfall (current as of 2:20 pm central time on August 28th, 2008!).

See that little end dot right on the Louisiana coast? Yeah, that dot pretty much signifies our house! How nice to make it onto the map, huh?
Evacuation plans are being made, and since we are pretty darn close to the gulf, we'll be among some of the first waves of evacuations. Those right on the gulf would be first, of course, but we'd be soon thereafter. We are north of the Intracoastal Waterway, so that's good news as far a flooding probabilities go!
As for preparations, we are pretty set. We aren't planning on staying, but we still have to prepare the house. It's interesting to be taking part in this because it's not like a tornado where you have but a few minutes to grab some things and get to shelter. We know where the storm is, we know how fast it is coming, and we know when it will hit. So there is that degree of uneasiness, but not all out panic because it's not going to come out of nowhere!
So, on a funny note, yesterday I gave Tom some instructions to pick up a few extra gas cans at Lowes so that we could bring extra gas with us during the evacuation. I went out with some friends to see a movie, and when I got home later that night, I saw no gas cans, but I did see a fog machine. So, I asked what exactly we needed a fog machine for!?! (I'm pretty sure I've never seen "fog machine" on a list of emergency essentials!) He said it looked like fun. Yes, perhaps if we weren't preparing for a potential disaster I could see the fun in a fog machine. Actually, thinking about it, I still don't see much fun in a fog machine... I picture Tom standing in line at Lowes with everyone around him loaded up with batteries, plywood, bottled water...and he's in line purchasing a fog machine which will be pretty useless once the power goes out, mind you! I just don't understand my husband and his impulse buys sometime!
All that aside, never fear, we are prepared and I will update everyone on the situation when I get a chance!


4 comments:
This sounds like the crystallized pineapple story ... no tylenol, but we do have the pineapple! Stay safe.
Do I know this story and have forgotten? Or is there more to hear?!?
I swear this was you - one of the kids had gotten sick on a Sunday and so you sent Tom to the store to get Tylenol (or some kind of medicine) and he came home with 5 different things (including the crystallized pineapple), but no Tylenol. It was you, right?
You know, after I had read your comment and walked away from the computer, I started to kind of remember this story! Seriously, I have the worst memory in the world-Tom tells me this all the time. I'm like Dory from "Finding Nemo!"
Yes, Im pretty sure it was us! First thing evacuated: the motorcycle to Baton Rouge. Second thing evacuated: the Wii. Third thing: yes...the fog machine!!
Mandatory evacuations start at 4pm! Woot Woot!
Post a Comment